Fashion Design Assistant Responsibilities include:
- Creating prototypes and tailoring garments
- Producing technical sketches
- Explaining technical and creative ideas to designers
- Sourcing fabrics and trimmings
- Creating mood, shape, and trend boards
- Gaining approval from customers
- Working closely with factories and suppliers
- Participating in meetings with customers and fabric agents
- Inspecting products during the design process
You’ll usually work in a studio or workshop, but you may travel to visit manufacturers. You may also go on research trips to visit art galleries, trade shows, or particular places or countries linked to a design theme. You’ll usually work at least 40 hours a week, and may need to work longer hours and weekends to meet deadlines. With experience you could progress to designer, then senior designer or design director. As a design director you could create your own range and manage a design team.
You could also move into freelance design, working on individual projects, or self-employment, creating your own collections.
- An eye for design and color
- Excellent presentation skills
- Excellent negotiation skills for working with customers and suppliers
- Strong pattern cutting skills
- Some background knowledge on fashion courses
- Higher education course before joining a fashion company
- Textile skills
Salary: the average salary of a fashion design assistant in the UK is £19,500/year.
Check Fashion Design Assistant Jobs